Men’s soccer edges Wilson in 5-4 thriller

On a comfortable, 75 degree evening, the Waynesburg University men’s soccer team was on edge during the final stages of its 5-4 win over Wilson College.

The Yellow Jackets began the high scoring affair with a goal by freshman David Brown in the sixth minute, which was the first of his career as a Yellow Jacket.

“I didn’t even really celebrate,” Brown said. “It was just long anticipated. It was really cool having the fans out there, yelling and cheering.”

The score was then bumped to 2-0 after Daniel Hott scored in the 19th minute. After the blazing start, the Jackets would score for the rest of the first half. This opened up a window that the Phoenix capitalized on. Within 30 seconds of each other, Garrick Hill kicked in a penalty shot, and Juan Lamey scored on a 50 foot shot to tie the game up at two, a score that would hold up through the first 45 minutes.

The Yellow Jackets began the second half with a quick goal from Cam Sutherland in the 47th minute to put the Jackets back in front. 

“We just needed to get on the board,” Sutherland said. “There was a great ball played through to me. I just kept my head up and kept running and slotted it through.”

The lead was short lived. Wilson’s Aaron Harrison tied it up nearly two minutes later to equalize the match again. At the time, the crowd became noticeably more involved due to a large number of foul calls, which included one yellow card given to a player from each team.

“Fans didn’t seem to like it,” head coach Brad Heethuis said.“I think there were a couple missed calls both ways, but it wasn’t terrible in either direction.”

A yellow card by Waynesburg’s Ryan McCann awarded Wilson a corner kick on Waynesburg’s side. Garrick Hill crossed it to Christopher Sosa, who scored the goal off his head giving the Phoenix their first lead of the contest.

After 15 more minutes, Waynesburg’s Kyle Deaner made his way up the side of the field and crossed it to his right, where senior Dante Ohm scored the late game tying goal, with just 10 minutes left to play.

In the late stages, The aggressiveness from both teams didn’t cease and minor fouls continued to be called, but one foul in the box created a turning point in the game. Waynesburg’s Cam Sutherland was making his way inside the keeper’s box when he was unexpectedly tripped up by Wilson’s defender, Oliver Perry to set up a penalty kick in the 89th minute. 

The team selected senior Nate Kummer to face goalkeeper Dan Perry one on one. It was Kummer who came out with the goal to claim the win against Wilson, who could not score in the last 36 seconds of regulation.

The penalty kick by Kummer also marked the 22nd shot on goal by a Jacket in that game, while Wilson was only able to muster eight.

Waynesburg men’s soccer will play again on Wednesday night, 8 p.m, against Muskingum at John F. Wiley Stadium.