Women’s soccer falls in sudden death

On Saturday, the Waynesburg women’s soccer team played an under the lights non-conference affair with the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets. It didn’t disappoint the crowd, as the teams played a scoreless 90 minutes, and the game didn’t see a goal until the second overtime frame in the 104th minute, when Baldwin Wallace scored to win, 1-0.

Baldwin Wallace got off to a quick start on offense, keeping Waynesburg in its defensive end most of the half.

Baldwin Wallace out shot Waynesburg 11-5 in the first 45 minutes,  getting most of its offense from five corner kicks. Waynesburg’s starting goalkeeper Autumn Blair stayed busy with five saves. The Jackets got some offense, forcing Baldwin Wallace’s goalkeeper Emma Bruno, to make three saves. Waynesburg was then able to hold on and keep Baldwin Wallace off the board for a scoreless first half.

Blair went down with an injury early in the second half, forcing Emma Burns to enter the game in relief. Waynesburg’s head coach Laura Heethuis fought Burns held her own in an emergency situation 

“Burns did a great job coming in,” Heethuis said. “She did really well coming off of her line and making things hard for the forwards. She was getting balls out of the air doing really well on her feet.”

The second half saw the game open up with offensive rushes for both teams. Baldwin Wallace once again out shot Waynesburg, 10-4, with Burns making four saves for Waynesburg. Bruno made two saves in the second half for Baldwin Wallace. Despite both teams picking up the pace in the second half, the game remained scoreless and went into overtime. 

Baldwin Wallace ended the game after a goal by Cydney Granneman with only twenty-four seconds left in the first overtime period. The goal occurred after a corner kick by Kenna Poptic bounced around Waynesburg’s box. Granneman was finally able to get a foot on the ball after both teams crowded near the Waynesburg net.

After the game Heethuis talked about how the team will handle the close loss, and how they plan to prepare for their upcoming game against Pitt Greensburg.

“Despite having a 1-0 loss, I hope we take that learning aspect of things into the next game and make sure that we are ready to play every game,” Heethuis said.“We have got to get some healthy bodies. We have a couple girls banged up. We were super physical tonight, so that was awesome. We have to make sure that we rest up and get ready for Tuesday.”

Waynesburg will return to John F. Wiley stadium when they host Pitt Greensburg at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 24 in their final non-conference game of the regular season, before starting Presidents’ Athletic Conference play Saturday afternoon at Chatham.